[Gala-l] IGALA11 | London | 29 June-02 July 2020 - FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

Erez Levon e.levon at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Apr 25 10:05:47 UTC 2019

(please circulate widely - apologies for multiple postings)

The 11th biennial conference of the International Gender and Language Association (IGALA11)<http://www.qmul.ac.uk/igala11> will be held at Queen Mary University of London from 29 June - 2 July 2020.

We are delighted to announce that our confirmed keynote speakers are:

·         Susan Ehrlich (York University)

·         Michelle Lazar (National University of Singapore)

·         Busi Makoni (Pennsylvania State University)

·         Lal Zimman (University of California Santa Barbara)

IGALA is the premiere international scholarly organisation for the study of language as it relates to the construction and representation of gender and sexuality. Since its founding in 1999, IGALA has been dedicated to supporting and promoting research on language, gender and sexuality, and to communicating to the wider world about relevant gender, sexuality and language issues.

The theme of IGALA11 in London in 2020 is Language and the Geopolitics of Gender. With this theme, we aim to highlight the geopolitical dimensions of language, gender and sexuality scholarship. Our goal is to showcase research on configurations of language, gender and sexuality from a diverse range of cultural, linguistic and geographical contexts, and in particular work that engages with issues of coloniality, globalisation, migration, (trans)nationalism and/or modernity. We also aim to encourage discussions of methodological and epistemological diversity, and of the broader dynamics of knowledge creation and dissemination in our field.

FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

Regular Papers and Posters: Abstracts are invited for papers (oral presentations and posters) on original, unpublished research related to the study of language, gender and/or sexuality. We particularly encourage submissions related to the conference theme. We welcome diversity in theoretical and methodological approaches and in the linguistic and cultural contexts considered. Oral presentations will be 20 minutes (with 5 minutes for questions and discussion). Posters will be on display in a dedicated 2-hour poster session.

Abstracts should be submitted via EasyAbs (http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/IGALA11). Abstracts should be no more than 500 words and confined to 1 page of text. References, glossed/transcribed examples, and images can appear on a second page and do not count toward the word limit. Abstracts should be submitted as PDF documents and be fully anonymised. The submission deadline for regular papers and posters is Friday 1st November 2019 (23:59, AoE: UTC-12).

Panels: We also invite proposals for a limited number of organised panels that speak directly to the theme of Language and the Geopolitics of Gender. Proposals may be for panels that are single-length (2 hours with 4 speaker slots) or double-length (4 hours with 8 speaker slots). Proposals for panels should include an overall description of the panel topic (max. 500 words) plus abstracts for each proposed paper (max. 500 words each). Panels will be required to keep to the regular conference timetable of 30-minute slots (20-minute talks + 5 minutes for discussion + 5 minutes for changeover).

Panel proposals should be combined into a single PDF document and be submitted via EasyAbs (http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/IGALA11), indicating that the submission is for a panel. Panel organizers need not remain anonymous, though abstracts for individual papers in the panel should be anonymised. The submission deadline for panel proposals is Friday 06 September 2019 (23:59, AoE: UTC-12).

All submissions will be anonymously reviewed. Notification of acceptance of panels proposals will happen in mid-October 2019. Notification of acceptance of regular papers/posters will happen by early January 2020.

Authors may submit a maximum of two abstracts, only one of which may be sole-/first-authored. This limit applies to all types of submissions (regular paper, poster, panel paper). For any questions, please contact the IGALA11 organizing team<mailto:igala11 at qmul.ac.uk>.

ACCOMMODATION INFORMATION
A block of rooms in QMUL on-campus housing will be available for IGALA11 attendees. Further details and confirmed prices will be posted on the conference website soon. Single en-suite rooms (with breakfast included) will cost approximately £50-60/night, and will be available on a first-come first-served basis.

CONFERENCE BURSARIES
As for previous IGALA conferences, we anticipate being able to offer a number of bursaries to help support the participation at IGALA11 of postdoctoral students and/or individuals from economically disadvantaged countries and institutions. We will circulate information about bursaries as soon as it becomes available.

---
Dr Erez Levon
Department of Linguistics
Queen Mary University of London