[Gala-l] Special Issue "Legitimizing 'iel'?" (H-France Salon, Volume 11, Issue 14)

Luca GRECO luca.greco at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 22 12:07:01 UTC 2019

A special issue on pronominal forms in trans/genderfluid/genderfucking/nonbinary communities in anglo and francophone spaces.

> Message du 22/07/19 11:22
> De : "Vinay Swamy"
> A : "Flora Bolter" , "Luca Greco" , "Blase Provitola" , "Florence Paré" , "Logan O'Laughlin, Ph.D." , "Sophie Labelle"
> Copie à : "Louisa Mackenzie"
> Objet : Just published: "Legitimizing 'iel'?" (H-France Salon, Volume 11, Issue 14)

We are delighted to announce the publication of “Legitimizing ‘iel’? Language and the Trans community in Francophone and Anglophone Spaces” as a special issue of H-France Salon, Volume 11, issue 14.

The last few years have seen an increased visibility of non-binary persons who are publicly claiming their identities and pronouns beyond the gender binary in both English and French. While the singular “they” has gained favor among many in Anglophone spaces due in part to the precedent for such a usage in English, Francophone non-binary persons have had to face further challenges regarding language and syntax given the binary nature of French grammar itself. This special issue considers recent attempts to make available gender‑equitable, ‑neutral, and ‑expansive language and identities to French speakers within linguistic, cultural, and pedagogical spaces. In offering to the readers of H-France our reflections on these developments, the contributors to this special issue expand on the fruitful exchange initiated at a symposium at Vassar College in April 2018—when earlier versions of this material were first presented—and invite dialogue with a broader public. In so doing, we hope that the questions we raise will be taken in the spirit of ongoing inquiry rather than as prescriptive positions (as indicated by the titular question mark), and that our chapters will be read as open-ended engagements with the rapidly-developing public conversations on non-binary issues beyond the academy. We also hope that the embedded hyperlinks and the appended glossary will allow our readers to engage directly, if they so wish, with the many multimedial resources cited in this issue.

Table of Contents

Introduction

Vinay Swamy (Vassar College) and Louisa Mackenzie (University of Washington, Seattle)

I. Histories

“« Le masculin l’emporte » : évolution des stratégies linguistiques dans les associations LGBT+ en France”

Flora Bolter

Fondation Jean Jaurès

“Linguistic Uprisings: Toward a Grammar of Emancipation”

Luca Greco

Université de Metz

II. Pedagogies

“‘Faut-il choisir ?’: Transgender Access to the French Language Classroom”

Blase A. Provitola

Columbia University

“Les personnes non-binaires en français : une perspective concernée et militante”

Florence Ashley

McGill University

III. Art, Activism, Academia

“Transnational Reflections on Embodying Non-binary Pronouns”

Logan Natalie O’Laughlin

Duke University

“Beyond ‘French-American’ Binary Thinking on Non-Binary Gender”

Louisa Mackenzie

University of Washington, Seattle

“Assignée garçon or Grappling with the Trans Question in the French Language”

Vinay Swamy

Vassar College

Glossary/Glossaire

Please click on the link or the cover image above for access to the individual essays on the H-France Salon Web site.

We thank the contributors to this issue for reflecting on the pressing issue of inclusive language, and are grateful to the Office of the Dean of the Faculty and the Department of French and Francophone Studies at Vassar for having hosted, in April 2018, the symposium which many of you attended and at which we initiated this conversation.

We look forward to your responses, and continuing our discussion online.

Bonne fin des vacances et bonne lecture !

Louisa and Vinay

Vinay Swamy
Professor
French and Francophone Studies