[Gala-l] SLA 2020 CfP: Submission Deadline Extended to December 16

Kira Hall kira.hall at colorado.edu
Tue Nov 26 18:08:53 UTC 2019

Dear friends,
Please forward this CfP far and wide!
There was a typo and missing link in the last version, so this is the one to use.
Hoping to see you at SLA 2020.
All best and happy holidays, Kira Hall

The 2nd Biannual
Society for Linguistic Anthropology Spring Conference
SLA 2020

Future Imperfect:
Language in Times of Crisis and Hope

Boulder, Colorado, 2-5 April 2020
The Hiltons on Canyon

Co-organized by graduate students in the University of Colorado Boulder program in Culture, Language, and Social Practice<https://www.colorado.edu/program/clasp/>

Keynote speakers<http://secure-web.cisco.com/1pKp7PdDT0dL5y7pKq8etFypIZlnhMPgKfp3gYgFUI0K5qlu_dQAX221TXqH67o4TXXOGYx9RyBN_phyHVQAiWYnPGsRhRSR3GU4h6fcMcvtRNNLk-dd0NS34VIor5uJ_TVoF2cbuulXFbdUS9UB9XLNgs7h0dkioCHZEVtest3oRhLCio5p51om3ZMxMG3asOrVQjKVlbMVIWa-IR5sX6SUYHfTGPKjrxHnOqZIDE7NpOUPGLCbAJ9yHul_IxDj0C9-6LQbayMQE15PGxDiIabC9hiMslhOKXOt7yjzLRXrt_X_Mvrc8sJvp_k4txWRczo_jTynYQd0TyqcLGHQgRTubI-ehTdNIa2AciEk5kvFL-t0QSZmoVqMSpL8XgbZoe_VTbguvieVQmsK1OZfEe3QaWVrPxRekgrtquFXDcbPTBZd6tu7C4ARilWkCegUusfJhZ0FGzqMUH8fZjE154A/http%3A%2F%2Flinguisticanthropology.org%2Fsla-2020-keynote-speakers%2F>
Letícia Cesarino, Universidade Federal De Santa Catarina
Michel DeGraff, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Angela Reyes, City University of New York (CUNY)
Virginia Zavala, Pontificia Universidad Católica Del Perú

Call for panels, roundtables, papers, and posters

Abstract submission deadline has been extended to Monday, December 16, 2019, 3:00 pm EST

As human societies face the tragedies of climate, war, racism, corruption, and displacement that are projected to define the 21st century, the SLA 2020 Spring Conference calls upon scholars to question the way forward in an imperfect future world. The future inhabits our uncertain present, generating complex intersections of crisis and hope. The imperfect, as a verb construction, describes an ongoing, incomplete action. With this conference theme, we wish to highlight the ever-unfinished and evolving condition of academic research and its contribution to pressing sociopolitical issues. How do we, in our role as researchers, reconcile time-honored methodologies with the novel challenges that have arisen in contemporary social life? How can our academic labor more effectively address the concerns of the future?

We welcome submissions that make use of diverse methods, both micro and macro, to explore the precarity and forms of resistance that characterize our contemporary moment, whether at local, national, regional, or global scales.

In its focus on imperfect futures, the conference theme additionally proposes disruption and transformation as necessary concepts for critical language study. In social analytic research, these concepts each invoke traditional paradigms as they move toward more innovative ways of thinking and doing. We highlight disruption as a rethinking of relationships between researchers, participants, audiences, and methodologies. What counts as knowledge production in linguistic anthropology and related fields? Who gets to produce and circulate knowledge, and in what fora? How can we productively disrupt our reliance on knowledge systems that may be more suited to past instead of future concerns?

 Likewise, we highlight transformation as encompassing the many ways in which laypersons as well as researchers may change and advance the contours of language study to confront an increasingly anxious world. Through the reflexive interrogation of positionality and subjectivity, we search for emergent paths to take within—and beyond—the comfort zones in our research fields. Disruption and transformation, as mutually reinforcing, co-constitutive phenomena, create the opportunity for more critical and participatory directions in language study.

This conference theme invites linguistic anthropologists and related researchers to reflect on ways to realize goals of racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, gendered, and other forms of social justice in times of crisis and hope.

***
Session abstracts (500 words) and paper/poster abstracts (250 words) can be submitted to our submission portal<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1OxeU2Hee0X_TT-_9WvQHV9Vji3W4Jd6_ms26MGziPwwua6l_y9b2NGoCKuRCjs6qnkbWOsbcPqmTrxXbqUDTLyUWkl0sKQhXdcm_VWVgZPcqaJVLhz-TA-fuvBZuEdnC_hjodEN9I0hijJviujUZPnfCg59aYbTMESlbUpHBawUvZzQl3HZg89w-LzzVB4MYmYA3TgRQjWdiwnDjZi1N-DVsrV__TYuNUYJ0KBoRE3fGU2c1S8VWk3r5AZxm3oxRDgxMxAVUJzXoeHbjCKoRL5cLbjpm67VWeQbB1_QrONNHV-VpPJQ-YG4e20UBwawAYlcTP4oVfVpqQUR-smpQhcgtNPidBSeV0OAj9SmTXAIQTjD3fKWi9c5_44ICvaKv3Z0GLc40Ko692LT8qtxdmLGy7rTWf0kK9AwjdClvbm7pwdYHmq2VhTg6v4bVlEHG5vQLZMp6-XLzNt4XIHVoBA/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.abstractscorecard.com%2Fcfp%2Fsubmit%2Floginsso.asp%3FEventKey%3DHBBTILVQ>.
Please visit our panel organization padlet<https://padlet.com/vekh0709/e3mv8gjmfc4s> to advertise or join a panel.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent out by January 31, 2020.
Further information about the conference can be found at the
SLA 2020 Spring Conference Website<http://secure-web.cisco.com/1F7rCgGhkd-o85px1DVFiNafWSq98a9snEEyQn4zF2wtpUF8Kt4raXvILNr2d4eco5ASUr46UJrEBbqkK1oJAxgjrKGtCefvJGX929FxV5JERAEV2vKSpMf7HlGc0u__M5Kmb2Y6xnAheIJuOr0Jg0yOCxm1l2XESiF08zCqNr8d9OmNo4GC8FGU7NIUo6gRxa93QGx76c98YhOu4mCDZ1rQPYFEDKDLA4dpD0m7RePZR4EKwwD0C2d76FisHNMfNmCW8BNT9hwp7CtmII1178fkZfz-XOwu6-EAi93qVrJQq4p2v1S43ipOW6wboZkpGGDJVwmQX7q7715WLK60tfxEdO2W4xt032OH79f6dno5ydOoI1wmfs2S4wDcBJUPmh_ILNVMqmJKDkT7hCw1_ZKNB1HMhxuUDnIO-PGDrkojK80q0fnp9YeLGJ41T1bKvk2hN5pu6OK-qNrv3GWzLoQ/http%3A%2F%2Flinguisticanthropology.org%2Fblog%2Fmeetings%2F2020-spring-conference-society-linguistic-anthropology%2F>.

***
Submissions for the graduate student paper competition<https://www.colorado.edu/program/clasp/conference/graduate-student-paper-competition> are also due Monday, December 16, 2019.

***
Associated Costs
Registration with the American Anthropological Association is FREE.
The fee scale for the SLA 2020 Spring Conference is:
$130 (SLA Professional), $150 (Non-SLA Professional),
$50 (SLA Student), $70 (Non-SLA Student).
Registration includes morning coffee & pastries,
catered wine receptions on Friday and Saturday nights,
and full access to pathbreaking sessions, workshops, and papers.

***
Location and Lodging
The SLA 2020 Spring Conference will take place in beautiful Boulder, Colorado, a college town located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains and home to the University of Colorado Boulder. The SLA has reserved a block of discounted rooms at the main conference hotel, Embassy Suites at the Hiltons on Canyon<https://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/colorado/embassy-suites-by-hilton-boulder-DENBOES/index.html?SEO_id=GMB-ES-DENBOES>. Each reservation made at the  SLA/CLASP Conference Booking Link – Embassy Suites Boulder<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure3.hilton.com%2Fen_US%2Fes%2Freservation%2Fbook.htm%3FinputModule%3DHOTEL%26ctyhocn%3DDENBOES%26spec_plan%3DCESSLA%26arrival%3D20200401%26departure%3D20200405%26cid%3DOM%2CWW%2CHILTONLINK%2CEN%2CDirectLink%26fromId%3DHILTONLINKDIRECT&data=02%7C01%7CDanielle.Light2%40hilton.com%7C64d297a176aa4fa441f708d748310ccf%7C660292d2cfd54a3db7a7e8f7ee458a0a%7C0%7C0%7C637057247808867267&sdata=wL1X19qjDlOdoaZyAkrIwrRUzeRbJ%2Fj%2FIOMSoap0cok%3D&reserved=0> comes with a two-room guest suite, a complimentary made-to-order breakfast, a complimentary Manager’s evening reception, and access to two bars, fitness room, and heated roof-top pool.
Please visit our roommate finder padlet<https://padlet.com/vekh0709/zhmgwlb6hmgh> to connect with others looking to share.

For inquiries, please contact the conference organizers at slaboulder at gmail.com<mailto:slaboulder at gmail.com>

With gratitude to our local cosponsors!
Colorado College, Department of Anthropology
Colorado State University, Department of Anthropology and Geography
Colorado State University, Department of Communication Studies
Metropolitan State University of Denver, Department of Literature and Language Studies
Metropolitan State University of Denver, Department of Sociology and Anthropology
University of Colorado Boulder, BUENO Center for Multicultural Education
University of Colorado Boulder, Center for Native American and Indigenous Studies
University of Colorado Boulder, Center for Indigenous Languages of the West
University of Colorado Boulder, Department of Anthropology
University of Colorado Boulder, Department of Spanish and Portuguese
University of Colorado Boulder, Department of Linguistics
University of Colorado Boulder, Latin American Studies Center
University of Colorado Boulder, School of Education