[Gala-l] IGALA11 | London | 29 June-02 July 2020 - FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS

Erez Levon e.levon at qmul.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 07:48:53 UTC 2019

(please circulate widely - apologies for multiple postings)

11th biennial conference of the International Gender and Language Association (IGALA11<http://www.qmul.ac.uk/igala11>)
29 June - 02 July 2020
Queen Mary University of London (UK)
Abstract submission deadline: Friday 1st November 2019 (23:59, AoE: UTC-12)
Abstract Submission portal: http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/IGALA11

The theme of IGALA11 in London in 2020 is Language and the Geopolitics of Gender. With this theme, we aim to highlight the geopolitical dimensions of language, gender and sexuality scholarship. Our goal is to showcase research on configurations of language, gender and sexuality from a diverse range of cultural, linguistic and geographical contexts, and in particular work that engages with issues of coloniality, globalisation, migration, (trans)nationalism and/or modernity. We also aim to encourage discussions of methodological and epistemological diversity, and of the broader dynamics of knowledge creation and dissemination in our field.

FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS

Abstracts are invited for papers (oral presentations and posters) on original, unpublished research related to the study of language, gender and/or sexuality. We particularly encourage submissions related to the conference theme. We welcome diversity in theoretical and methodological approaches and in the linguistic and cultural contexts considered. Oral presentations will be 20 minutes (with 5 minutes for questions and discussion). Posters will be on display in a dedicated 2-hour poster session.

Abstracts should be submitted via EasyAbs (http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/IGALA11). Abstracts should be no more than 500 words and confined to 1 page of text. References, glossed/transcribed examples, and images can appear on a second page and do not count toward the word limit. Abstracts should be submitted as PDF documents and be fully anonymised. The submission deadline is Friday 1st November 2019 (23:59, AoE: UTC-12).

All submissions will be anonymously reviewed. Notifications of acceptance will happen by early January 2020.

Authors may submit a maximum of two abstracts, only one of which may be sole-/first-authored. This limit applies to all types of submissions (regular paper, poster, panel paper). For any questions, please contact the IGALA11 organizing team<mailto:igala11 at qmul.ac.uk>.

ACCOMMODATION INFORMATION
A block of rooms in QMUL on-campus housing will be available for IGALA11 attendees. Further details and confirmed prices will be posted on the conference website soon. Single en-suite rooms (with breakfast included) will cost approximately £50-60/night, and will be available on a first-come first-served basis.

CONFERENCE BURSARIES
As for previous IGALA conferences, we anticipate being able to offer a number of bursaries to help support the participation at IGALA11 of postdoctoral students and/or individuals from economically disadvantaged countries and institutions. We will circulate information about bursaries as soon as it becomes available.

---
Erez Levon
Professor of Sociolinguistics
Queen Mary University of London