[gothic-l] What ever became of the Ostrogoths???

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba irmina at CTV.ES
Wed Aug 16 23:42:02 UTC 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Axeage  wrote:
> I'd like to know what happened to the Ostrogoths after their defeat
> to Belisarius and the Byzantine armies in the 550's AD. Some books
> say that they remained in Italy and eventually assimilated into the
> rest of the population; others say that they were forced to leave
> Italy, but give no details as to where; while others say that they
> indeed left Italy and joined up with their fellow Gothic kinsmen in
> Spain....

I heard somewhere that they were mostly killed. Of course, some of
them were assimilated. And I never heard of migrations of Ostrogoths
from Italy. Even Visigoths never "occupied", never had a clear
presence in Spain. They settled in SouthEast France (Septimania)
and in the Center of Spain, and of course, small troops in every
major city of Hispania. Visigothics beat down Suevus in Galicia
(north west) and they let live there. With Franks, Borgonians (sorry
for the name) in South France and Lombards (?), besides Bizantinus
in the seas. I can't see a way out for Ostrogoths. Italians themselves
regard very little to this people. It's a sane idea to keep in
mind that these tribes were seldom above 100,000 individuals.
With two bad battles ( or even one, with Teutons in Aquila
Sextiae 60 B.C. ) these people could dissapear from the face of
earth. Assimilation was not easy those days. Even Visigothics who
had the longest period of contact with the Roman Empire and were
probably the most latinized germanic people , even them had two
codes of law one for themselves and one for the rest of people,
when they ruled in Spain. I fear that people didn't like them
very much, specially in Italy, where the rule of Rome were so near
and fresh.

> (good/bad terms). Does anyone know what happened???

Dead.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  QOTD: Money isn't everything, but at least it keeps the kids in touch.

Past Credit Problems? No Credit? No Problem!
First Freedom Visa Card Offers Up To $7500.00 Credit Limit
0% Interest – No Security Deposit – Everyone Is Approved