[gothic-l] What ever became of the Ostrogoths???

Axeage axeage at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 16 15:08:13 UTC 2000

Hi,

I'd like to know what happened to the Ostrogoths after their defeat
to Belisarius and the Byzantine armies in the 550's AD. Some books
say that they remained in Italy and eventually assimilated into the
rest of the population; others say that they were forced to leave
Italy, but give no details as to where; while others say that they
indeed left Italy and joined up with their fellow Gothic kinsmen in
Spain....

All of these theories seem possible to me - especially the last one,
since Goths were the ruling class of Spain...but then again I don't
know the details on Visigothic/Ostrogothic relations at that time
(good/bad terms). Does anyone know what happened???

Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks!