[gothic-l] active use of language

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba irmina at CTV.ES
Wed Aug 16 23:52:58 UTC 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, M. Carver wrote:
> Hails, Inge
>
> For my part, I read the books on the subject. When reading Gothic, I
> read aloud so as to get a feel for the sound, rhythm.

Some comments here. Modern germanic languages (english, nederlanden,
norsk, svenska) have a very different phonetic system than
Gothic. Those modern languages tend to use more diphtongs and vowels
and semivowels. Deutsch have conserved more the phonetics of them.
So, I wonder how could sound Gothic. Moreover, Germanic is told to
be a common ancestor with lithuanian, which certainly stresses
some vowels over others, but it's not the phonetic nightmare of
english ( for example). Well, I don't know much of lithuanian, but
that's my first impression.

> Doing a few
> translation projects and reading the Gothic corpus will allow one to
> familiarize oneself with the vocabulary, grammar and syntax to such an
> extent that the basic language is at hand.

I imagine that all this have been extracted from the bible. In this
case, I wonder how different was "spoken" language from the
"normalized" written language.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  QOTD: Money isn't everything, but at least it keeps the kids in touch.

A Credit Card With 0% Interest – No Upfront Security Deposit
No Late Payment Fees – No Credit Check – Up To $7500.00
Credit Limit ? First Freedom Visa…….To Good To Be True!