[gothic-l] Gauti and Magnhild

M. Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Sat Aug 19 02:08:54 UTC 2000

I tried translating the pieces. I give a part of that translation here,
since its so long. Not too hard if you know nynorsk and see that it's
landsmål or country norwegian, or some old dialect like that. Still,
there are a few phrases/words I'm not familiar with so I won't risk
confusing you. The scandinavians on the list might be of more assistance.

Matþaius

Gauti rode after Gautombar
(?)Shadows (?hurries) over the heath)
He fastens his dearest in (?a grove..)
(She says never)
Weepst thou for gold or weepst thou for land?
or weepst thou that thou must sit at my board?
or weepst thou for field or weepst thou for lee?
or weepst thou that thou must climb in my bed?

I weep not for gold I weep not for land
I weep not that I must sit at thy board
I weep not for field I weep not for lee
I weep not that I must climb in thy bed
I weep for me, for my fair skin
that shall (not) rot in the jetty of a creek
I weep for me, for my golden hair
that shall (not) rot on Vend(l)ing's isle...