[gothic-l] Gothic names for Germanic mythical places

David Salo dsalo at SOFTHOME.NET
Wed Aug 23 02:21:45 UTC 2000

Le Bateman wrote: can anyone tell me what the Gothic names would have been?

> Nastrand is the Norse name for Shore of Corpses AS is Neostrand,

*Nawastranda

>Neofelham is NifleHeim

*Nibilahaims

Asgardhr, Esagearden,

*Ansigards or *Ansugards

>Midgardhr, Middengearden

Midjungards (attested)

>Jotenheim, Eotenham

*Itunahaims

> Alfheim, Aelfham

*Albahaims or *Albihaims

>AS Eormersyll for Yggsdrasill. The Saxon word was Irmrsulle.

*Airmanasuls (I guess)

   Many of your Old English forms are not, I believe, attested and some
must be misspelled.

/\     WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
\/            WRAIQS NU IST                               <> David Salo
<dsalo at softhome.net> <>