[gothic-l] FW: -run element in Germanic names (was: Hamdismal in Gothic)

M. Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Mon Aug 28 07:58:52 UTC 2000

----------
From: "Ingeborg S. Nordén" <ingwibergo at email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:12:29 -0500
To: <gothic-l at egroups.com>
Cc: <mcarver at csulb.edu>
Subject: -run element in Germanic names (was:  Hamdismal in Gothic)

----- Original Message -----
From: "M. Carver" <mcarver at csulb.edu>
To: <gothic-l at egroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 3:50 AM
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Hamdismal in Gothic

> Corrections noted, made and appreciated.
Gudrun I had no idea for. I chose Gud- over Gunn-
because the sense "god-mystery" made more sense
to me for some reason. Battle-mystery is intriguing but perplexing.
A kenning for what exactly?

I seem to recall another sense of the -run element in Germanic female names:
"trusted friend, confidante". (The idea of a person who can *keep* secrets
isn't too far removed from the "mystery" meaning...)  "Battle-friend" does
make good sense as a name, if you ask me!

P.S.   Would Matthew please pass this on to the list for me?  Somehow
eGroups doesn't know that my address WITH 'email" in it and the one WITHOUT,
are the same account.  Thank you very much!

----
Ingeborg S. Nordén
(ingwibergo at msn.com)

Ek Ingwibergo stabaz fahiðo