[gothic-l] "Gunthiruna"

M. Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Mon Aug 28 08:31:26 UTC 2000

After the interesting comments I decided to look into this name a little
further. The first element is indisputably Gunthi-, fight or struggle. The
second is ostensibly runa (Fo) "secret, mystery". Koebler for this also
gives the meanings "secret plan, secret council, secret consultation, secret
counsel", which I believe fit well within the military context set by the
first element. Ingeborg's suggestion could also fit here, since it speaks of
counsel, which in secret matters is also confidence or a confidante.

Gunthiruna =
"Secret fight-counsel"
"Fight-confidante"

--Matþaius