[gothic-l] Newbie: textbooks; Gothic separating from Common Germanic

MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Wed Aug 30 13:35:49 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

Various newbie queries. Excuse my ignorance.

(1) Can you recommend a good Gothic textbook and full vocabulary for
English-speakers? I live in Manchester in England.

(2) If the Goths are the Scandinavian Gautar and Beowulf's Geats,
which of the characteristic features in Gothic are likely to have
been there when they still lived in Scandinavia? While the Goths were
wandering across Europe, and likely in the process picking up
assorted camp-followers and recruits with various mother-tongues and
having dealings with various peoples, likely their language would
tend
to change: in that case from fairly close to Common Germanic to what
Wulfila wrote in. This linguistic effect was known from Ancient Greek
times onwards: e.g. some Athenian Greeks who had come home after long
wanderings were described as "ouket' Attike:n hi:entas, ho:s an
pollakhe:i plano:menous" = "no longer speaking Attic Greek, wandering
in many roads".

(3) The diacriic acutes often written above "au" and "ai" in Gothic:
are they in Wulfila's spelling?; or were they added by modern
scholars like the macrons often seen in printed Latin and Anglo-Saxon
texts?

(4) What is the usual way on this list to represent Gothic accented
vowels?, if like me you don't trust all emailers to transmit
high-order characters (= characters with internal code values bigger
than 127) correctly.