[gothic-l] Newbie: textbooks; Gothic separating from Common Germanic

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 30 16:04:28 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

In a message dated Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:18:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mcarver at csulb.edu writes:

<<  (3) The diacritics were added later. The diaresis, however, which
appears over word- and syllable-initial i's is an invention of
Wulfila.  >>

A quick note: I don't think Wulfila invented that particular convention as, believe it or not, I have seen it used in manuscripts written in Greek. I don't recall what the date was on those, but I'm betting it was before the invention of the Gothic Alphabet. (It was in the Oxyrhynchus manuscripts if you're wondering)

And usually the consensus seems to be to avoid high-ascii characters by not including accutes or macra. Thorns are often included (they come out on my computer as fl ligatures, which is not TOO hard to cope with) out of necessity,  but when they aren't we just use <th>

As for the Gautar/Geats... can of worms!

IUSTEINUS