[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards on Gotland -- and gothic proto-vikings..

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Tue Dec 12 12:48:46 UTC 2000

Hi Jon,

 The Troy myth may have arisen out of the epic voyage of the
Franks, who after being defeited by the emperor Probus in
Gaul 278 C.E., were resettled as mercenaries on the Black
Sea coast of Asia Minor rebelled there, seized a Roman fleet
returned to their homelands.

 This can be read in Rick A. Reidlinger's recent
installments on John Haywood's Dark Age Naval Power, A
reassessement of Frankish and Anglo-Saxon seafaring
activities by various Germanic tribes, covering approx. 200
BCE to 800 CE. Rick sent these to this list on Nov. 28--go
get it!

 Bertil Häggman has repeatedly told us that the Goths and
the Heruls joined forces as pirates in the Black Sea in a
way that made them qualify for the term proto-vikings. Now,
some Heruls also joined in from Denmark with the Saxons and
Franks (also those returning from the Black Sea) raiding the
Channel area from 285 and were defeated by Maximian c. 287.
 In my view they were the true early Vikings but it also
goes to show how rapidly boat-building and naval war
techniques could have spread between the North Sea Germanics
and The Black Sea Goths. There may perhaps be no need for or
even possibility to decide which were what; it could well
have been a both - and instead of either - or; a mutual
learning with the Romans fleet as an intermediator.

Seigmund

jrose at efn.org wrote:
> King Henry the second claimed he was descended from Trojans, he kin
> to the Merovingians. He built a Labyrinth, a 'Troy Town' for Fair
> Rosamond.
> Jon
..
keth at o... wrote:
..
> > famous are the Langobardic cemetries near Luechow-Dannenberg and along
> > the southern banks of the Elbe river.
> >  What is more, he adds the
..
> > > information that the Baltic island they used to
> > > live on was Gotland. That, I thought was an interesting
> > > piece of information!
..
> > Yes I agree. And it does not  contradict the archaeology which I
> > reported earlier either provided that this migration group of early
> > Langobards was quite small. In general, different sources have to be
> > considered including archaeology, especially as we never know what
> > people remembered about their origin after some 700 years have passed.
> > As I said earlier, if we  would only rely on the tribal histories we
> > would have to believe that the Franks came from Troy and that the
> > Burgundians are decended from Romans. In all likelyhood we will
..
> > Dirk

eLerts