[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards on Gotland -- and gothic proto-vikings..

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Tue Dec 12 19:16:08 UTC 2000

sig wrote:

>  The Troy myth may have arisen out of the epic voyage of the
> Franks, who after being defeited by the emperor Probus in
> Gaul 278 C.E., were resettled as mercenaries on the Black
> Sea coast of Asia Minor rebelled there, seized a Roman fleet
> returned to their homelands.

Many medieval cultures developed stories tracing their
origins to Troy.  These stories were pure legends based on
Virgil's 'The Aeneid', where he traced the fouding of
Latium and therefore Rome to refugees from Troy.  The
legend that Britain was founded by Brutus from Troy was
so common in late medieval English literature that London
was sometimes even referred to as 'Newe Troy' by writers
like Gower and the Gawain-Poet.

Anyone who tries to base a historical analysis on these
pretty but fanciful medieval legends will be creating
a fantasy out of a fantasy.

Tim O'Neill

PS I'm wondering how much longer gothic-l needs to put
up with this off-topic meandering.

eGroups eLerts