[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards on Gotland -- and gothic proto-vikings..

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Tue Dec 12 19:28:35 UTC 2000

jrose at efn.org wrote:

> I read there once was a waterway from between the Black Sea and the
> Netherlands that the Norse people traversed, they having to haul
> their boats overland some of the way, thus their low draft design.

No, there was no river link between the Netherlands and the
Black Sea - a quick look at a map of Europe will show you
why.  You seem to be thinking of the link between the
Baltic and the Black Sea which was traversed by the Rus
Vikings.

> Consider all those small boats in the Bospherous you have been
> discussing. Could the Normans made their way to the Danland from the
> Black Sea - and vise versa?

If by 'Normans' you mean Swedish and Rus Vikings then yes,
this is well attested.  If you mean the 'Normans' of
Normandy and, later, England then no - for some obvious
geographical reasons.

> Robert Graves at the end of 'The White
> Goddess' identifies PALLAS as the chief deity of the Jews the 'Sea
> Peoples' he a Dolphin-god whose white fin is ritually consumed by
> the 'Anointed One' at the 'Last Supper'.

Robert Graves said 'The White Goddess' was a work of
poetic fiction and found the very idea of anyone using it
as a non-fiction reference work ridiculous.  It's a little
like using 'Finnegan's Wake' as a source of Irish history.
Graves also had some very unusual ideas most of which are
now considered outdated or simply plain wrong.

>The Merovingian Franks claim
> they are discended from Jesus directly,

The Merovingians claimed to be descended from Merovech
who had in turn been descended from a female ancestor
and a sea monster.  This strange legend has been
interpreted many ways, including (somehow) as part of
very unlikely modern theory linking the Merovingians
to Jesus.  This theory was popularised by a piece of
error-ridden pulp journalism called 'Holy Blood and
Holy Grail' - a book which is riddled with errors,
leaps of logic, unlikely links and a mish-mash of
real history with convenient fiction.  Real historians
regard this ludicrous conspiracy fantasy as a joke.
But it did make the journalists who wrote it lots
of money - thus all their sequels.  I imagine they
are sunning themselves on a beach in the south of
France themselves right now.

> that is, he had children by
> Mary Magdalene who was a royal Benjamite, who are kin to the
> Arcadians. She fled to the South of France, her peoples later
> settling in the Ardanne.

As set out in the discredited 'Holy Blood' etc - see
above.

I'm still wondering what all this New Age speculation
has to do with the Goths.

Tim O'Neill

eLerts