[gothic-l] Re: Goths and ships

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Wed Dec 13 11:09:32 UTC 2000

Yes indeed,

 The straits of Denmark e.g. do freeze albeit very rarely,
and I for one am convinced that
climate indeed has bearing on Gothic topics. The question
was if the Goths maight have travelled over ice instead of
on ships while migrating. This year however the huge bridge
of Öresundsbron finally joined together what belongs
together.

MCLSSAA2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk wrote:
..
Sig:
> > emigrants came and went by boat,Anthony, by ship).

MCLSSAA2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk:
> The main part of the Baltic likely stays open, but there have been
> winters when the Danish Straits have frozen across.
..
> marching across the frozen Lillebaelt.
Sig:
> > ... the average mid-July temperature from 6000 B.C.E till
> > 2000 B.C.E [in Vastergotland amd Ostergotland]
> > must have been around +19 degrees C (compared to to-day's
> > some +15-16 degrees. ...

MCLSSAA2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk wrote:
> In summer; but what does the weather get like in the winter there?
..

This question arouses perfectly well that familiar feeling
of an urge to sigh: "See what I mean?".

Right now, in south central Sweden the lawns are green, some
late flowers still hang on and the hanging flower on the
patio still has many wonderful blue flowers on it and it's
mid December. I took the last stint with the autumn leaves
last week. The vast majority of us Swedes have still to wait
for the first flake of snow. Most Swedish children never
have snow enough to ski on in the winters. Last winter gave
me an opportunity to build a snow man with my grandchildren
but it was gone in a week.

 Sweden does not have and has never had *one* climate like
England. And it is a long country from north to south. I
once put it over the map of the USA an with the north tip at
the Canadian border. The south end and the most populous one
would then end up near the south of Alabama in the deep
South. Does USA have one climate? Of course not. Ask those
in New Hampshire and ask those in Georgia what their winters
look like. If you want to hear of snow, turn to the former,
if you hate to hear about snow ask someone from Florida.

 But on and on it goes in the English history books; the
Vikings came out of nowhere from the barren, misty, icy,
forbiddingly cold fjords of Scandinavia where the sun rarely
eeks over the horizon (those barbarians who can't even spell
to Indi-aaahhh).

 Scandinavia has many very diverse climates and the peple
live and have always lived in those parts with pretty
agreeable weather around its coast and for the most part in
the south. During Viking times South Sweden and Denmark was
far more populous than England.

 There are certain things like these that Gothic students
need to take into account before scoffing off any suggestion
to a Scandinavian origin of the Goths. It is *not* an
argument for a Scandinavian origin of the Goths but the
climate is not any argument against.

Friondos again?

Seigmund

Click here for more details: