[gothic-l] Re: Anagastes?

Brian Beck babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Wed Dec 13 22:30:56 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Tim O'Neill" <scatha at b...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Frank Kermes" <gevurah at h...> wrote:
> > Hey,
> > Another name question . . .  Latin sources mention that the Roman
> Magister
> > Militar in 470 (who revolts) is a Goth named "Anagastes."
> > What would the Gothic form of the name be? (I can figure out "ana-
> ," but
> > "-gastes" has me baffled as a nymic theme.  Spirit/soul? [geist?])
>
> 'Guest'?  It's pretty common in a lot of Germanic names.
> Cheers,
>
> Tim O'Neill
Yes, I think 'guest' is more likely.  If it were 'spirit', the Latin
would more likely be 'Anagaestus'. But the 'ana-' puzzles me.  Could
it be a typo (what did they call typos before typewriters?) for
'Ansa-' - 'god' or 'Anda-' - 'spirit', which are common elements in
Germanic names?
Goleins,
Brian Beck

eGroups eLerts