[gothic-l] Re: Anagastes?

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Fri Dec 22 20:47:01 UTC 2000

Thank you Andreas,

 This idg. *an, meaning ancestor, or germ. *un, *an is very active
in the Swedish language e. g.
as in anfader (first ancestor), pronounced ahn-fader. I get same
feeling for an- as for German ur-. If so Anagastes would translate
into Ur-Gasts. an- is not a prefix and must be stressed--not
knowing this one will automatically pronounce it like the Greek
prefix -ana. But in this case the second -a- is only a vowel
ligation between the two words an- and gasts?
 This adds a new perspective to all Germanic Ana- names, doesn't
it.

Sig

andreas.schwarcz at univie.ac.at wrote:

> Schönfeld, Wörterbuch der altgermanischen Personennamen, 19
> gives a gothic etymology for Anagastus, *ana-gasts, Förstemann,
> Altdeutsches namenbuch, 100 f. has the name Anagastus to the
> stem an-, confirmed by Henning Kaufmann, Altdeutsche
> Personennamen. Ergänzungsband. München 1968,p.33, who gives
> two possibilities, idg.*an, meaning ancestor, or germ. *un, *an,
> "gönnen".
> Anagastes is undoubtedly germanic.
> Regards
>              Andreas Schwarcz
> Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
> Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
> Universität Wien
> Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
> A-1010 Wien
> Österreich