[gothic-l] Re: Anagastes?

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Fri Dec 22 21:56:56 UTC 2000

on 12/22/00 1:47 PM, sig at sigmund at algonet.se wrote:

> Thank you Andreas,
>
> This idg. *an, meaning ancestor, or germ. *un, *an is very active
> in the Swedish language e. g.
> as in anfader (first ancestor), pronounced ahn-fader. I get same
> feeling for an- as for German ur-. If so Anagastes would translate
> into Ur-Gasts. an- is not a prefix and must be stressed--not
> knowing this one will automatically pronounce it like the Greek
> prefix -ana. But in this case the second -a- is only a vowel
> ligation between the two words an- and gasts?
> This adds a new perspective to all Germanic Ana- names, doesn't
> it.
>
> Sig
>
> andreas.schwarcz at univie.ac.at wrote:

This brings us back to my post of 13 Dec 2000:

Aina-           one, sole, lone
Arni-           secure, safe
Auna-           luck (but usu. transcribed O'ni-}
Ana-            ancestor (cf. ? Anila)

If ana- is to be preferred, then we could then say what the following names
are made of and what they mean perhaps:

1. Anala/Anila/Anilas
    = *Anila = *Ana-[nickname w/ missing element?]
    But note: Onila = *Aunila = *Auna-[] "Lucky"
2. Anaolsus
    = *Anawulþus "Ancestor-glory"
    Second element questionable: also: -wulfs or possibly -walis-, -walhs, ?
3. Aniedruda
    = *Ana-, *Ani-, *Anja-þruþa "Ancestor Strength"
4. Anna (f. = Anna- or Ana- or Arna-)
5. Annia (f.)
    [one wonders whether there is an *anj- root: note however Antemir =
*Antimers "Giant-famed"]

Matthew

eGroups eLerts