[gothic-l] gothi minores, graeco-goths, Theoderic & Crimea

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Thu Dec 28 13:56:50 UTC 2000

On 27 Dec 2000, at 16:19, Tiefi wrote:

> Hi fellow Goths,
>
> Does anybody have more detailed information baout this splinter
> groups of federates in the Byzantine Empire?
>
> the gothi minores are mentioned dwelling north of the Balkan
> mountains in Moesia well before 370AD (Ulfila is said to have lived
> among them) and the graeco-goths somewhere around Ephesos at the time
> of the gothic raids of the coast of Asia minor.

The Gothi minores were the followers of Ulfila, who were driven from
the lands of the Tervingi in 348, crossed the Danube  and were
settled under their bishop around Nikopolis, today the region of
Veliki Trnovo in Bulgaria. They were still recorded by Jordanes
around 550. The Gothograikoi are mentioned rather late and surely
do not got back to the raids of the third century, rather to soldiers
stationed in Asia minor in the eighties of the fourth century.

> I read about Theoderic the great asking the crimean goths to leave
> for Italy but they denied. Does anybody have info on contacts between
> Italy and Crimea around 500AD?

According to Procopius, De Aedificiis, 3, 7, 10-17, the Goths in the
Crimea denied an invitation of Theoderic in 488 A.D. to take part in
his invasion of Italy and were faithful federates of Justinian I in the
sixth century. There may have been contacts between them and the
realm of the Ostrogoths in Italy, but there is no direct evidence for it.

Regards
             Andreas Schwarcz
ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut fuer oesterreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universitaet Wien
Dr.Karl-Lueger-Ring 1
A 1010 Wien
Oesterreich