[gothic-l] Re: gothi minores, Gothograikoi

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Fri Dec 29 20:01:26 UTC 2000

For twopence..

 I ran "goth*" through my file of ethnotribes and found this. Now,
this is a huge file from a database, run several times by me
through several applications to finally fix a Word file. That
means that it's totally out of context and is stripped of lots of
referrals, indices etc. However, I-ve tried to replace
abbreviations with their meaning when not ambigous (a bit
difficult when i. g. S might mean Sweades, South or something
else..)
 Finally it's a database of ethnic groups who have been mentioned
in one or other source throughout times, which includes the
concepts of "people", "tribe", "nation", "state" and migrating
fraction of ethnic groups, as well as "cultures" in the
archeological sense. All these caveats in mind it might still be
giving ideas to starting points for further investigations into
gothic remnants.

At your service,

Seigmundr

Here (use with caution! and, please, beware of bugs!) =>

Borani Slav Pitiunt (modern Picunda or
  Pitzunda) E shore Black Sea.
    From Lower Do? Riv.region. *{234-51}*
    Together with Goths.

Gepidae Germ Vistula-Nogat Delta  LAB
    Start date to conform to (1-9). End date
    acc/to ref 12. Originated from remnants of
    Goths who had not migrated SE.

Gepidae Germ Gau lRAB
    From Sirmium (and intervening area, RomProv
    Pannonia II, FormYug ). *{12-5}*  By East Goths.

Pannonia II, FormYug ).} *{12-5}*
    To North Dacia in wooded & mountainous
    areas, neighbors of W. Goths. (W corner of
    Ukraine, betw Uzgorod & Chust.) + Maros,
    Tisza & Koerces Riv.s (Alfoeld, H). + Part of
    Transilvania, R. *{900-567}* (This is (900-
    568) - (12-5).) Acc/to (12-7). Displaced
    by Ostrogoths.

Germanics Germ Lower Volga Riv.betw Caucasus & Sea
  of Azov, & in Pontic Steppes (N of
  Black Sea). LAB
    Early part of this period not confirmed by
    sources on specific Germanic tribes. Later
    part could be Goths and/or Heruli.

Goths Germ Oester- & Vaestergoetland & Island
  of Gotland.
    End date acc/to (205-6). Not all left to
    go to Gothi-Scandza. In ref 1 they are
    called Amali while still in Scan .

Goths Germ {Gothi-Scandza (Gothi-Scandza =
  Pol . & N D. between Vistula & Oder
  Riv.s covering modern cities of
  Gdansk, Szeszin, & Grudziadz.)}
  *{1-2}*
    From Oester- & Vaestergoetland & Island of
    Gotland. *{16-1}*. Necessary to move Goths
    from (16-1) to (1-2). Partial migration
    because (205-6) mentions as Goths as
    remaining in Goetland.

Goths Germ Gothi-Scandza (Gothi-Scandza =
  Pol . & N D. between Vistula & Oder
  Riv.s covering modern cities of
  Gdansk, Szeszin, & Grudziadz.)
    Called Gutoni in reference.

Goths Germ Middle Ode? Riv.Both sides of middle
  Oder R, S. boundary reached in E.
  Mark Brandenburg, into the Lausitz
  area and Lower Silesia.
    From Gothi-Scandza. (Gothi-Scandza = N Pol .
    & N D. between Vistula & Oder Riv.s covering
    modern cities of Gdansk, Szeszin, &
    Grudziadz). *{1-2}*

Goths Germ {Middle Ode? Riv.Both sides of
  middle Oder R, S. boundary reached
  in E. Mark Brandenburg, into the
  Lausitz area and Lower Silesia.}

Goths Germ Marshes nr Azov Sea MAB
    From the middle Oder R, both sides of
    middle Oder R, S. boundary reached in E.
    Mark Brandenburg, into the Lausitz area
    and Lower Silesia. + Gothi-Scandza.

Goths Germ {Marshes nr Azov Sea} *{1-9}* LB
    For consistency with (1-9) and (110-49).

Goths Germ NW of Black Sea State between
  Carpathians, Don R, Vistula R, Sea
  of Azov, centered on lower Dnepr R.
    From the marshes nr Azov Sea. *{900-488}*

Goths Germ {NW of Black Sea State betweenLB
  Carpathians, Don R, Vistula R, Sea
  of Azov, centered on lower Dnepr
  R.} *{11-55}*
    For consistency with (11-55) & (110-49).

Goths Germ Dacia & Illyria AAB
    From NW of Black Sea State between
    Carpathians, Don R, Vistula R, Sea of
    Azov, centered on lower Dnepr R. *{900-
    489}*

Goths Germ Thrace AAB
    From NW of Black Sea State between
    Carpathians, Don R, Vistula R, Sea of
    Azov, centered on lower Dnepr R. *{900-
    489}*

Musulmani Slav Macedonia & Bosnia FormYug LB
    Originated from conversion of Bogumiles to
    Islam. Some Turkish admixture. Also
    slavicized Vlach-Romani ethnos converted
    to Islam. Possibly some Gothic elements as
    well. Sources (51-145), (114-4), and (114-
    23). End date: still present.

The differentiation of
    Goths in W & E branches occurred about 240
    AD. The W branch was first called
    Terwingians, later Visigoths. The E branch
    first Greuthungi, then Ostrogoths.
    We call them by their later names as of
    240 AD.

Ostrogoths Germ {NW of Black Sea State between
  Carpathians, Don R, Vistula R, Sea
  of Azov, centered on lower Dnepr
  R.} *{900-489}* See reference 1
  for exact border between
  Terwingians (W. Goths) and
  Greuthungi (E. Goths).
    For consistency with (900-489) & (234-5).
    Fought with Alans. The differentiation of
    Goths in W & E branches occurred about 240
    AD. The W branch was first called
    Terwingians, later Visigoths. The E branch
    first Greuthungi, then Ostrogoths.
    We call them by their later names as of
    240 AD.

Ostrogoths Germ Kingdom of the Bosporus (Cherson,
  Panticapaeum). This is not the
  Bosporus at Constantinople but
  that closing off Sea of Azov.
    From NW of Black Sea State between
    Carpathians, Don R, Vistula R, Sea of
    Azov, centered on lower Dnepr R. See
    reference 1 for exact border between
    Terwingians (W. Goths) and Greuthungi (E.
    Goths). *{1-24}*

Ostrogoths Germ {Kingdom of the Bosporus (Cherson,
  Panticapaeum). This is not the
  Bosporus at Constantinople but
  that closing off Sea of Azov.} +
  {NW of Black Sea State between
  Carpathians, Don R, Vistula R, Sea
  of Azov, centered on lower Dnepr
  R. See
  reference 1 for exact border    For consistency with (1-24) &
(8-4).
  between Terwingians (W. Goths) and
  Greuthungi (E. Goths).} *{234-54}
  + {1-24}*

Ostrogoths Germ Region around and N of Durostorum
  (Silistra, BG), N bank of lower
  Danube R.
    From the Kingdom of the Bosporus (Cherson,
    Panticapaeum). This is not the Bosporus at
    Constantinople but that closing off Sea of
    Azov. + NW of Black Sea State between
    Carpathians, Don R, Vistula R, Sea of
    Azov, centered on lower Dnepr
    R. See reference 1 for exact border
    between Terwingians (W. Goths) and
    Greuthungi (E. Goths). *{900-492}*

Ostrogoths Germ Malorosa on Taman peninsula LAB
    Start date necessary to connect with (900-
    492).

Ostrogoths Germ Crimea LB
    Acc/to Much: Deutsche Stammeskunde.
    Remnants of Goths, Crimean Goths.

Ostrogoths Germ {Region around and N of DurostorumLB
  (Silistra, BG), N bank of lower
  Danube R.} *{8-4}*

Ostrogoths Germ Balkans MB
    From region around and N of Durostorum
    (Silistra, BG), N bank of lower Danube R.
    *{8-4}* For consistency with (11-79).

Ostrogoths Germ Pannonia It RomProv Part. migr. to B
    From region around and N of Durostorum
    (Silistra, BG), N bank of lower Danube R.
    *{8-4}* For consistency with (110-67).

Ostrogoths Germ Pannonia Prima RomProv LAB
    End date, see (11-81).

Ostrogoths Germ {Balkans} *{900-494}* LB
    Acc/to (11-79). End date questionable.
    Probably assimilated.

Ostrogoths Germ Gaul AAB
    From Pannonia. Attacked with Huns.

Ostrogoths Germ Thracia & Moesia inf RomProv  The newly
  reorganized (284-305) Diocese
  Thracia. See ref 40, fig 22.
    From Pannonia Prima RomProv . *(110-67)*

Ostrogoths Germ East Roman Empire advancing along
  the Moldava-Vardar corridor,
  threatening Salonica & Adrianople.
  Crossed RomProv  Moesia, Macedonia,
  Epirus & Dacia ripensis.
    From Pannonia Prima RomProv . *{110-67}* End
    date acc/to (1-42).

Ostrogoths Germ It (Modern Lombardy, Venetia,
  Tuscany, the so-called Marks,
  especially the fortress of Osimo S
  of Ancona, Dalmatia. Not in Alps
  or Lower Italy.)
    From Balkans. End date: death of Odoaker.
    20K warriors = 100K people.

Ostrogoths Germ { Ita (Modern Lombardy, Venetia,
  Tuscany, the so-called Marks,
  especially the fortress of Osimo S
  of Ancona, Dalmatia. Not in Alps
  or Lower Italy.)} *{1-44}*
    At end date they were conquered and many
    deported by E. Romans (Byzantines).

Ostrogoths Germ {Swiss part of Raetia (RP)} *{178-QB
  11}*
    For consistency with (178-11). From I.
    (Modern Lombardy, Venetia, Tuscany, the so-
    called Marks, especially the fortress of
    Osimo S. of Ancona, Dalmatia. Not in Alps
    or Lower Italy.) *{1-44}* Ref calls them
    Goths, but (11-82) implies they
    were Ostrogoths.

Ostrogoths Germ Swiss part of Raetia (RP)LAB

Ostrogoths Germ Pannonia I Ita RomProv  later Sirmia &CAB
  Slavonia. Betw. Danube, Drave &
  Save RR.
    From It (Modern Lombardy, Venetia, Tuscany,
    the so-called Marks, especially the
    fortress of Osimo S. of Ancona, Dalmatia.
    Not in Alps or Lower Italy.) *{11-82}*
    Note: This is Pannonia II, even though
    ref. calls this their ancient homeland.
    Our earlier sources (110-67) placed them
    in Pannonia I.

Ostrogoths Germ {Pannonia I Ita RomProv  later Sirmia &
  Slavonia. Betw. Danube, Drave &
  Save RR.} *{124-7}*
    For consistency with (124-7). End date
    problematical. Ref 1 says that Gepids
    reconquered area in 536, but some Goths
    must have stayed & become assimilated.

Roxolani  Iranian Dacia RomProv AAB
    From the lower Danub? Riv.corner + Bey'd
    area (E of) Banat to Ol? Riv.along Danube.
    *{900-244}* In conjuction with Carpi,
    Alans, & Goths.

Visigoths Germ AsMin (Lydia, Phrygia) NAB
    From Ukrainian ports.

Visigoths Germ SalonikiAAB
    From the lower Danube & Olt Limes.

Visigoths Germ Saloniki AAB
    From the lower Danube & Olt Limes. *{900-
    490}* The differentiation of Goths in W &
    E branches occurred about 240 AD. The W
    branch was first called Terwingians, later
    Visigoths. The E branch first Greuthungi,
    then Ostrogoths. We call
    them by their later names as of 240 AD.

Visigoths Germ Coasts: R, BGNAB
    From Ukrainian ports. The differentiation
    of Goths in W & E branches occurred about
    240 AD. The W branch was first called
    Terwingians, later Visigoths. The E branch
    first Greuthungi, then Ostrogoths. We call
    them by their later names
    as of 240 AD.

Visigoths Germ Bosporus, Cilicia NAB
    From Ukrainian ports.

Visigoths Germ Athens NAB
    From Ukrainian ports. The differentiation
    of Goths in W & E branches occurred about
    240 AD. The W branch was first called
    Terwingians, later Visigoths. The E branch
    first Greuthungi, then Ostrogoths. We call
    them by their later names
    as of 240 AD.

Visigoths Germ R, BG, Gre , Naissus (Nis, FormYug ) AAB
    From the lower Danube & Olt Limes. *{900-
    490}* The differentiation of Goths in W &
    E branches occurred about 240 AD. The W
    branch was first called Terwingians, later
    Visigoths. The E branch first Greuthungi,
    then Ostrogoths. We call
    them by their later names as of 240 AD.

Visigoths Germ Dacia EAB
    From the Lower Danube & Olt Limes. *{900-
    490}*

Visigoths Germ {Lower Danube & Olt Limes} +LB
  {Dacia} *{900-490} + {11-60}*
    For consistency with (11-60) & (144-1).

Visigoths Germ Thracia & Moesia inf RomProv  The newlyAAB
  reorganized (284-305) Diocese
  Thracia. See ref 40, fig 22.
    From the lower Danube & Olt Limes + Dacia.
    *(900-491)* The differentiation of Goths
    in W & E branches occurred about 240 AD.
    The W branch was first called Terwingians,
    later Visigoths. The E branch first
    Greuthungi, then Ostrogoths.
    We call them by their later names as of
    240 AD.

Visigoths Germ RomProv Thraco-Phryg Moesia Inferior
Haemimontus,WAB
  Rhodopa, Thracia, Scythia. (See
  map p.34, Putzger.)
    From the lower Danube & Olt Limes + Dacia.
    *{900-491}* Ref (190-3) says 70K West
    Goths resettled by Romans. Scythia added
    from ref (40-107). End date to conform to
    (308-10).

Visigoths Germ E & S. Gre WAB
    From RomProv Thraco-Phryg Moesia Inferior, Haemimontus,
    Rhodopa, Thracia, Scythia. (See map p.34,
    Putzger.) *(144-1)* Also discussed in ref
    1.

Visigoths Germ Albania & SE FormYug  (Macedonia acc/toWAB
  ref 1.)
    From E & S. Gre . *(308-10)*

Visigoths Germ It (See map, ref 308.) WAB
    End date acc/to (11-71). From Albania & SE
    FormYug . (Macedonia acc/to ref 1.) *(308-11)*
    Wolfram (ref 1) estimates them at 50K men,
    lower than some other estimates.

Visigoths Germ Baetica RomProv , Lusitania &
  Carthaginensis RomProv  + {Tarraconensis
  RomProv } *{232-21}*
    From I. (See map, ref 308.) *{11-69}*

Visigoths Germ {Aquitania RomProv  Roman Province of
  Aquitania (specific areas assigned
  to Goths were valley of Garonne R
  from Toulouse to Bordeaux as well
  as Atlantic coast from Pyrenees
  almost to Loire R). They founded
  the Tolosanic Empire there with
  their
  capital at Toulouse. Since 468    From I. (See map, ref 308.)
*{11-69}*
  also in the NE of Iberian    Start date acc/to (11-71), end date
acc/to
  peninsula.} *{1-31}*    (1-31).

Visigoths Germ Narbonnensis RomProv Part. migr. to B
    From I. (See map, ref 308.) *{11-69}*
    Start date acc/to (11-71), end date by
    analogy with (1-31).

Visigoths Germ Aquitania RomProv  Roman Province of
  Aquitania (specific areas assigned
  to Goths were valley of Garonne R
  from Toulouse to Bordeaux as well
  as Atlantic coast from Pyrenees
  almost to Loire R). They founded
  the Tolosanic Empire there with
  their
  capital at Toulouse. Since 468    End date to conform to
(17-45). Wolfram
  also in the NE of Iberian    estimates between 100K-200K people
as the
  peninsula.    W Gothic component of the Tolasanic
    Empire. Reference calls them W. Goths.

Visigoths Germ Tarraconensis RomProv , Baetica RomProv LAB
  Lusitania & Carthaginensis RomProv P.
    200K out of total Spanish population of 9M.

Visigoths Germ {Narbonnensis RomProv } (See map p.34,LB
  Putzger.) *{900-501}*
    Start date, for consistency with (900-
    501) end date acc/to Putzger map 39-I.

Visigoths Germ Betw Minho & Sil Riv.s & Canatabrian AAB
  coast, Cartaginense & Lusitania
  RomProv P.
    From I. (See map, ref 308.) *{11-69}*

Visigoths Germ Galicia AAB
    From Tarraconensis RomProv , Baetica RomProv ,
    Lusitania & Carthaginensis RomProv P. *{232-30}*

Visigoths Germ Bretagne AAB
    From Aquitania RomProv . (Roman Province of
    Aquitania (specific areas assigned to
    Goths were valley of Garonn? Riv.from
    Toulouse to Bordeaux as well as Atlantic
    coast from Pyrenees almost to Loire R).
    They founded the Tolosanic Empire there
    with their capital at Toulouse. Since 468
    also in the NE of Iberian peninsula.) *{1-
    31}*

Visigoths Germ {Pyrenees to Loir? Riv.from Atlantic EB
  Ocean to Rhon? Riv.& from E of that
? Riv.in the region reaching just to
  the Alps, comprising that area
  between the Durance and the
  Mediterranean Sea.} *{17-45}*
    From Aquitania RomProv . (Roman Province of
    Aquitania (specific areas assigned to
    Goths were valley of Garonn? Riv.from
    Toulouse to Bordeaux as well as Atlantic
    coast from Pyrenees almost to Loire R).
    They founded the Tolosanic Empire there
    with their capital at Toulouse. Since 468
    also in the NE of Iberian peninsula.) *{1-
    31}*

Visigoths Germ Pyrenees to Loir? Riv.from AtlanticLAB
  Ocean to Rhon? Riv.& from E of that
? Riv.in the region reaching just to
  the Alps, comprising that area
  between the Durance and the
  Mediterranean Sea.
    End date acc/to (1-31).

Visigoths Germ E less GaliciaMB
    From the Pyrenees to Loire R, from
    Atlantic Ocean to Rhon? Riv.& from E of that
  ? Riv.in the region reaching just to the Alps,
    comprising that area between the Durance
    and the Mediterranean Sea. *{17-45}*
    Acc/to (11-74), (53-46), (167-13).
    Exception of Galicia to conform to (11-
    75). Acc/to (11-74), by middle of 6th C
    Gothic language died out. 70-80K Visigoths
    entered E.

Visigoths Germ {Narbonnensis RomProv } (See map p.34,TB
  Putzger.) - {Septimania (See map
  I, p.39, Putzger.) (This is a
  subset of Narbonnensis.)} *{900-
  499} - {900-500}*
    By implication acc/to reference sources
    for (900-499) and (900-500). To Septimania
    (see map I, p. 39, Putzger.) (This is a
    subset of Narbonensis.) *{900-500}*

Visigoths Germ Septimania (See map I, p.39,LB
  Putzger.) (This is a subset of
  Narbonnensis.)
    Conquered by Moors. See Ploetz p. 456.

Visigoths Germ Galicia CAB
    From Tarraconensis RomProv , Baetica RomProv ,
    Lusitania & Carthaginensis RomProv P. *{232-30}*
    Conquered kingdom of the Suevi.

Visigoths Germ {Galicia} *{11-75}*LB
    Start date acc/to (11-75), end date to
    conform to (232-30).

Visigoths Germ Castile IAB
    Start date to conform to (232-30). By
    Basques or Cantabrians, but speaking a
    Romance dialect.

Wielbark Uncert {C Pommerania, Lower & C. VistulaLAB
  area. (Probably same region as in
  (900-221.)}.
    Incl. Rugii, Goths, Gepidae, Veneti &
    Slavs.