[gothic-l] Challenge in Scandinavian Myth

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Jul 1 18:03:39 UTC 2000

The challenge is a motive in Icelandic
sagas. In the Hervararsaga the Swedish
King Gissur the Old challenges the Huns
on behalf of King Angantyr. There is a
famous Norwegian painting (1886) by
P.N. Arbo showing Gissur to the right in
front of the Hunnic battle line. Gissur had
been sent out alone to challenge the Huns to
fight and positioned his horse without
fear. The Norwegian artist Arbo let Gissur
symbolize a man who on his own is willing
to sacrifice when other withdraw passively.
I think it was Ibsen who wrote "He is strongest who
stands alone".

Gothically and for unity of Scandinavia
(Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway,
Sweden)