[gothic-l] Translation projects

Mike Adams abrigon at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 12 07:21:48 UTC 2000

It is for a group, but if someone wants to use it, go for it.

Morgoth

I've set up a Website for helping SCA scribes hook up with people
willing to translate scroll texts into other languages.  (Of course,
the system can be used for texts other than scrolls; but that's the
idea.) The idea came from a thread on the scribes list; we were
talking about how nice it would be if we could do more scrolls in the
recipient's language, and it was pointed out that the hardest part
was
often finding someone to do the translation.

The Website is at <http://translate.thibault.org>.  It's been running
for about a week now; we have 41 users signed up, including 9 people
who have volunteered to translate 16 languages (counting, say, Middle
German and Modern German separately).  To ask to have a translation
done, a scribe comes to the site, fills out the text and language,
and
picks a translator who can do the language.  (I thought about having
the site pick someone; but it might accidentally pick the scroll's
recipient.) The translator then gets an email message
with a link to look at the text and decide whether to volunteer.
(Note that you can ask the site to keep your email address private.)

There's also a resource section (which you can read without having to
register), with cultural information for particular languages, to
help
translators do a better job of producing translations that match the
period culture.  (This section is still somewhat sparse;
contributions
gratefully accepted.  :-)

Please forward this message to anybody that you think would like to
use the site.

--
|John Stracke        | http://www.thibault.org |HTML OK        |

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: