[gothic-l] Introduction

Thomas Leigh callanish at CELTICWEB.COM
Wed Jul 12 13:55:08 UTC 2000

Hailai!

I just joined the group and was asked to introduce myself.

I've been fascinated by the Gothic language for years, though somehow
never managed to have the time to try and acquire an active knowledge
of it yet. I stumbled across Matthew's web site and discovered the
existence of this list, so I immediately joined up in the hope of
getting in touch with other Gothic enthusiasts and hope to be soon be
able to practice using the language with those of you who are so
inclined :)

My other main liguistic interests are several of the Germanic
languages both ancient (eg. Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse) and modern (e.g.
Frisian, Icelandic), and also Celtic languages (my degree is in
Scottish Gaelic, and I dabble in the other 5 modern ones).

I do have one question, re pronunciation: according to the books on
Gothic I've seen (Wright's primer and grammar, and Bennett's
"Introduction") it seems to be the academic consensus that in the
Gothic of Wulfila "ai" and "au" were open vowels /E/ and /O/, and it
is merely an academic convention to use the accents (ái, áu,
aí, aú)
to indicate, for historical/etymological purposes, which /E/'s and
/O/'s developed out of original diphthongs and which out of original
open vowels. Yet the websites I found seem to recommend pronouncing
"ái", "áu" as diphthongs /aj/, /aw/. I was wondering what
opinions
the people on this list who actually like to speak (or read aloud)
Gothic have on this matter, and if it all right if I choose to use
the "Wulfilic" pronunciation instead of the "etymological" one?

Looking forward to Gothicking with you all,

Thomas

PS. I don't have any texts handy -- is my name attested at all? What
would it be in Gothic, any ideas?

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: