[gothic-l] Introduction

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 12 17:04:34 UTC 2000

I tend to read without the diphthongs, pronouncing them instead as long
versions of the normal open vowels. There is no consensus on this list though
for what the original pronunciation would have been. BTW, David Salo recently
pointed out to me that the Gothic word háils was spelled in a Latin text
"eils" or somethign similar, and was suggesting that this might indicate some
sort of diphthong.

JDM

<<I do have one question, re pronunciation: according to the books on

Gothic I've seen (Wright's primer and grammar, and Bennett's

"Introduction") it seems to be the academic consensus that in the

Gothic of Wulfila "ai" and "au" were open vowels /E/ and /O/, and it

is merely an academic convention to use the accents (ái, áu,

aí, aú)

to indicate, for historical/etymological purposes, which /E/'s and

/O/'s developed out of original diphthongs and which out of original

open vowels. Yet the websites I found seem to recommend pronouncing

"ái", "áu" as diphthongs /aj/, /aw/. I was wondering what

opinions

the people on this list who actually like to speak (or read aloud)

Gothic have on this matter, and if it all right if I choose to use

the "Wulfilic" pronunciation instead of the "etymological" one?>>

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: