[gothic-l] Introduction

M. Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Thu Jul 13 00:55:22 UTC 2000

jdm314 at aol.com wrote:

> I tend to read without the diphthongs, pronouncing them instead as long
> versions of the normal open vowels. There is no consensus on this list though
> for what the original pronunciation would have been. BTW, David Salo recently
> pointed out to me that the Gothic word háils was spelled in a Latin text
> "eils" or somethign similar, and was suggesting that this might indicate some
> sort of diphthong.
>
> JDM

I was thinking about this and wondered whether Wulfila's diphthongs were
transitional between pura and decadent, i.e. ai /æj/, au /åw/. Also, before
a liquid like l there would be reasonable ground for such breakage perhaps.

Matþaius

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: