[gothic-l] Re: Word Study : Directions

Matthew Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Fri Jul 21 21:17:30 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <irmina at c...>
wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, M. Carver wrote:
> > Wespero-, Evening, night. I. Reduced form *wes- 1. Suffixed form
> > *wes-to- in Germanic *west- II. Possibly Gmc. *wis- in Late Latin
> > Visigothi "West Goths". (despite possible evidence for *wisi-,
"good")

> I've heard that *wisi- may stand for "small". So visigothi are
> "small goths".
>
> And, I've heard that Ostrogoths means "shining" (ilustres, good,
> outperforming)
>  goths.
>
> Regards/Saludos
> Manolo

That's interesting. I wonder what the source was for that
translation.
Usually we see austra- meaning "east" in semantic progression
following
"dawn" < "shining". If the terms for the Gothic tribes were self-
aggrandizing rather than geographical, it would not go against
methodology revealed by Gothic personal names. Still, the
coincidental
similarity to West & East in wisi- and austra- is too salient,
especially after such confirmation as respective geographical
distribution.

Matþaius

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: