[gothic-l] The Varus Film Project - West Germanic names

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Tue Jul 25 01:29:11 UTC 2000

Hails,

I am currently working on an on-line project to produce a screenplay
of the story of Publius Quinctilius Varus and the Battle of the
Teutoburgerwald.  I don't imagine it will ever be made into a
film,
but the idea is to try to produce a script which is as historically
accurate and detailed as possible while still being an interesting
and exciting story.

Of course, I will be trying for a very accurate depiction of the
Germanic peoples in the story and this includes their names and some
of their language.  I was hoping folks here might be able to help me
with this aspect of the project.  At the moment I am
using `*Airmanameros' as the hypothetical West Germanic form
of `Arminius'.  Or should it be `*Armanameros'?
I'm also not certain
about the `-mer(os)' ending, but his father Segimerus had
that ending
on his name and it seemed a reasonable supposition.  Any comments,
suggestions or alternatives gratefully accepted.  Any recommended on-
line or `dead tree' material on what first century West
Germanic
dialects would have been like would be even more gratefully accepted.

Here are a few more names of characters from the story, with some
attempts at reconstructing their W. Gmc. Forms:

`Segestes' – *Sigigastos – Arminius' father-in-law
`Segimerus' – *Sigimeros – Arminius' father
`Thusnelda' – *Thursnelda – Arminius' wife
`Inguiomerus' – *Ingameros – Segimerus' brother,
Arminius' uncle

You can find the home site of the project, `Clades Variana, with
some
background material, a discussion forum, reader's polls and the
screenplay so far (all very much under construction) here:

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Salon/2385/varus.html

Cheers,

Tim O'Neill
Tasmanian Devil

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: