[gothic-l] Name origin and meaning

Bertil Häggman bertil.haggman at HELSINGBORG.SE
Fri Jun 2 07:45:08 UTC 2000

Yes, it was a good summary. The only questionmark
could be put at the statement that the Gothic nation
existed "at least between the 3rd and the 6th centuries"
AD.

The "Gotones" are mentioned already by Tacitus in _Germania_
and the last traces of the Goths could probably be said to
have existed in the 15th century on Crimea. The last Visigothic king was
Roderich (710 - 711). The important word here is of course
"nation" and when the Goths regarded themselves as nation.
Perhaps one could at least write 3rd to 7th century. If the Crimean
Goths regarded themselves as a nation is hard to say but most
likely the Goths saw themselves as a nation already in Gothiskandza.

Gothically

Bertil

>Excelent summary. I didn't actually know all those links in the chain. It
>owuld make a good nucleus for a FAQ, I think.

>    _Gothic_ is an ancient language, known to have been spoken by a nation
>(called "Goths" in modern English, but probably by themselves called
>_Gutans_ or _Gutthiuda_) existing at least between the 3rd and 6th
>centuries CE.

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: