[gothic-l] Name origin and meaning

Sarah Patton rebal_girl85 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 2 17:46:57 UTC 2000

thank-you this helps me a lot and I aooriciate it.  Can you suggest a good
book that I can read?  I do dress as a goth, my attitude shows I am and it
seperates me from the new society I live in now days. But I am a
gothic/American.  How do you see goths?...

sarah

>From: David Salo <dsalo at softhome.net>
>To: gothic-l at egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Name origin and meaning
>Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:55:12 -0600
>
> >I'm sorry to be rude I am not trying to be.  I jest see an e-mail thak
>looks
> >kinda like a conversation that I dont know what is being said.  What is
>it
> >German or what?  I am confused please help?
>
>     _Gothic_ is an ancient language, known to have been spoken by a nation
>(called "Goths" in modern English, but probably by themselves called
>_Gutans_ or _Gutthiuda_) existing at least between the 3rd and 6th
>centuries CE.  The language is best known through a translation of the
>Bible, which partially survives, made in the late 4th century CE.  Though
>possessed of an advanced and literate culture, they were considered by the
>more ancient civilization of the Roman Empire to be "barbarians".
>     From the Renaissance onward, there was a tendency to look back
>contemptuously on the Middle Ages and describe everything from that time
>period as crude and barbaric -- hence "Gothic".  Thus the word "Gothic"
>came to be equated with "medieval".  From the late 18th century on,
>"Gothic" came to be used of a style of literature that blended horror,
>hints of the supernatural, and a background of crumbling medieval --
>"Gothic" -- architecture (e.g. castles and cathedrals).  In the 20th
>century, this term came to be used of a counterculture movement that
>appropriated some of this literary "Gothic" style.
>     But as that "Gothic" style  refers, murkily, to medieval art and
>architecture of the 12th-16th centuries -- long after the Goths had ceased
>to play a major role in European history -- there is practically _no_
>connection between the Goths of history and their Gothic language, and the
>modern Gothic subculture.  This list was created for discussing the
>history, language, and culture of the ancient Goths.
>
>     I hope this helps!
>
>/\     WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
>\/            WRAIQS NU IST                               <> David Salo
><dsalo at softhome.net> <>

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: