[gothic-l] Re: Ic. "Bill" & Relevance

sverre_johnsen at HOTMAIL.COM sverre_johnsen at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 7 18:40:25 UTC 2000

> To most Scandinavians "bil" probably appears as a word with only
> one meaning (as car), but there are some older meanings attached
> to the word. These older meanings may however be differentiated
> from the new meaning (car) by using variant spellings. Thus in
> New Norse we have bild/bil = iron used to let blood; sword
(archaic);
> penis.

I have never seen it being spelled "bil", only "bild".

> And bel/bil = a small space or a piece of something or a
> short span of time.

This word belongs to a different gender, neutrum.

> We also have the word "kjerre" (= a car), but this now only
> has the meaning of a vehicle that is either handdrawn or
> by an animal.

Oh no, "kjerra" can indeed mean "car". "Vogn" on the other hand, can
never mean "car", opposite of German.

Sverre

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: