[gothic-l] Re: Ic. "Bill" & Relevance

Brian Beck babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Wed Jun 7 23:55:20 UTC 2000

Matþaius melida:
> *awtaumobilus           Used by Romanized Goths and the educated
(Latin-speaking)
> *silbagaggands          Same as above, but more common among
linguists

I thought that in the modern Germanic languages, except for English,
the verbs based on the *gang- root usually meant to go on foot as
opposed to *far-, meaning to travel in a vehicle or on horseback.
Did Gothic have this distinction?  If it did, then perhaps
*silbafarands, *silbaleiþands or *silbawratonds might be
possibilities.  Since the -mobil- root really means to move, other
possibilities might be *silbadreibands, *silbaskiubands,
*silbadragands, and I'm sure there are others.
Jus waljiþ.
Brian

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: