[gothic-l] Re: Ic. "Bill" & Relevance

M. Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Thu Jun 8 00:23:09 UTC 2000

Brian Beck melida:

> I thought that in the modern Germanic languages, except for English,
> the verbs based on the *gang- root usually meant to go on foot as
> opposed to *far-, meaning to travel in a vehicle or on horseback.
> Did Gothic have this distinction?  If it did, then perhaps
> *silbafarands, *silbaleiþands or *silbawratonds might be
> possibilities.  Since the -mobil- root really means to move, other
> possibilities might be *silbadreibands, *silbaskiubands,
> *silbadragands, and I'm sure there are others.
> Jus waljiþ.
> Brian

good point Brian. I suggested silbawagid- = "suimotus" "autokinetos" but
I like the transitive sense of moving people suggested by silbadrag-.
silbadreib- might work, but would conflict with a proposed very dreiban
"drive, steer", unless some other verb perhaps cognate to Dan. køre were
used, or the verb 'stiur(?j)an'. Secondly, I want to look at the
word-formation for the word. The "present prepositional" agentive has
been commonly used here. Should it rather be agentive (-ja- or -jan-) or
some other suffix, and if so, what gender?

Matþaius,
who just ordered the 700+ pp. Koebler and should receive it within a
week! :)

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: