R: [gothic-l] Re: Ic. "Bill" & Relevance

Giuseppe Pagliarulo g.pagliarulo at TIN.IT
Thu Jun 8 09:12:27 UTC 2000

Matþaius melida:

>good point Brian. I suggested silbawagid- = "suimotus" "autokinetos"
but
>I like the transitive sense of moving people suggested by silbadrag-.
>silbadreib- might work, but would conflict with a proposed very
dreiban
>"drive, steer", unless some other verb perhaps cognate to Dan. køre
were
>used, or the verb 'stiur(?j)an'. Secondly, I want to look at the
>word-formation for the word. The "present prepositional" agentive has
>been commonly used here. Should it rather be agentive (-ja- or -jan-)
or
>some other suffix, and if so, what gender?

Uhm... here the Latin -bilis suffix seems to me to be best rendered by
Gothic  -na: *automobilis > _silbawagna_ "that which is moved by
itself", maybe.

Iosef Strawarila