R: [gothic-l] Re: Ic. "Bill" & Relevance

M. Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Thu Jun 8 18:26:04 UTC 2000

Giuseppe Pagliarulo melida:

> Uhm... here the Latin -bilis suffix seems to me to be best rendered by
> Gothic  -na: *automobilis > _silbawagna_ "that which is moved by
> itself", maybe.
>
> Iosef Strawarila

Of course! Wag(j)- "Move" indeed seems to be present in our word wagon
(NHG Wagen, (be)wegen; IC vogn etc.). However WGmc did not develop this
-na- passive; it was peculiar to the North and East. Thus it must belong
to some other suffix, unless the word is ultimately of NGmc or EGmc
origin. Our word wagon would have perhaps meant "moving thing" or
"carrying thing" (cf. OE wegan sv.5 carry; bear; bring; move; wear) and
thus related to our word way, which is of course on what the wagon
travels. Please correct my etymology if it is wrong. So we have the group:

			PGmc.		Go.
narrow grade	*weg-az > wigs = way, road
full grade		*wag-j-an(a)n > wagjan = to move
full grade		*wag-an-az > wagns = wagon, cart, chariot

Matþaius Kairbeis