[gothic-l] Re: Names and family relation in Gothic

Brian Beck babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Thu Jun 8 22:25:09 UTC 2000

Hails,
I like the site, Tim.  With regard to your comment that some names
seem to have contradictory elements, I remember reading once that the
two elements of Germanic names should not necessarily be take
together.  Rather, they represent two qualities which the parents
wish to bestow on the new child; e.g. Frithubadws would mean that the
child should prosper in peace and in battle.  It seems a plausible
theory, but since we don't have any ancient Germans to confirm it,
we'll never know for certain.
Goleins,
  Brian