[gothic-l] Re: Ic. "Bill" & Relevance

sverre_johnsen at HOTMAIL.COM sverre_johnsen at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 8 19:16:39 UTC 2000

> >> We also have the word "kjerre" (= a car), but this now only
> >> has the meaning of a vehicle that is either handdrawn or
> >> by an animal.
> >
> >Oh no, "kjerra" can indeed mean "car". "Vogn" on the other hand,
can
> >never mean "car", opposite of German.
>
> Well, maybe if you are from Oslo. But in any case, it
> would be derogatory, like "den skranglekassa der".

I don't agree. "Kjerra" = "car" isn't used much nowadays, but 15-20
years ago, "kjerra" could often replace "car", as in "hev du sét
dan nye kjerra mi?" Nothing derogatory about that. Call it slang, if
you will.

Sverre

Everyday Is Kid's Day
Dad Only Has One