[gothic-l] Re: Ic. "Bill" & Relevance

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jun 8 20:56:19 UTC 2000

sverre_johnsen at hotmail.com wrote:
>I don't agree. "Kjerra" = "car" isn't used much nowadays, but 15-20
>years ago, "kjerra" could often replace "car", as in "hev du sét
>dan nye kjerra mi?" Nothing derogatory about that. Call it slang, if
>you will.

Okay. What part of Norway were you referring to?
Any way, nynorskordboka says:
I kjerre m1 (nor kerra; lat. carrus) 1 enkel vogn med to (el. fire)
hjul 'handk- / hest og k-' 2 skjemt.:(gammal) bil 'skifte ut kjerra'

I was only aware of meaning 1. But of course, meaning 2 I would have
understood from the context. Like if you refer to someone as "fugle-
skræmsel" ;)

For the other readers, perhaps I should point out that Norwegian has
quite a few dialects that differ quite a bit. There is really no
single system of spelling that could possibly cover them all.
But 'nynorsk' (New Norse) is nevertheless such an attempt to
achieve a standard that can be used throughout the country.

With respect to the attempts made by our experts,
is this to be understood as an attempt to make the old language
into a kind of 'esperanto', into which it will also be possible
to talk about modern things? I think it is then a good idea to
borrow ideas from German or Icelandic, since it will save the
potential users some memorisation. Maybe one should also not
try to be too perfect. That would correspond to the way old
buildings are sometimes renovated: one no longer tries to
imitate the old building materials 100%. In that way it is much
easier to see which are the original stones, and which are
the new ones.

Keth

Win a trip to Vegas for you and 20 friends, $15,000 and a suite at
Bellagio for New Year's, courtesy of Expedia.com. Or win 2 roundtrip
tickets anywhere in the U.S. given away daily. Click for a chance to win.