[gothic-l] Ic. "Bill" & Relevance

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 8 20:42:11 UTC 2000

In a message dated Tue, 6 Jun 2000  8:22:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, David Salo <dsalo at softhome.net> writes:

<<
   Well, if the Romans had cars, and called them "automobiles", (which they
certainly would not) then the Goths might have calqued an awkward form like
*silbagaggands; or they could have borrowed the word, doubtless as
*awtaumobilus, pl. *awtaumobileis, and then could have clipped it to
*bilus, pl. *bileis. >>

Note, however, that modern Latinists tend to use autocineta, and modern Greek uses auftokineto. I can't remember the length of that e though.

<<    "bíll" on the other hand, if an original Icelandic form, would
perhaps reflect *bîlaz or *bîliz = Go. *beils.
    I'd prefer *karrus to both. :) >>

As carrus (as well as currus) is a real Latin word, this is perfectly acceptable to me.

-JDM

Free @Backup service!  Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
your files online.  Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.