[gothic-l] Saturday

Brian Beck babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Wed Jun 14 03:03:39 UTC 2000

Hails allaim,
  I noticed browsing through neologisms in the gothic-l database that
we have Gothic expressions for all the days of the week, except
Saturday.
Sauilis dags, Menins dags, Teiwis dags, Wodanis dags, Thunaris dags,
Fraujons dags (?or Friddjos dags), but no Saturday.
In modern Germanic languages there seem to be several expressions for
this day of the week: Saturday, Zaterdag, Samstag (Sonnabend),
Laugardagr.  Can we come up with a Gothic expression: *Saturnaus
dags, *Laugos(?) dags?  I don't know what the equivalent Germanic
deity was for Saturn. Nerthus or Ingwaz? Perhaps we could propose
*Nairthaus dags or Iggwis dags. Any ideas?
Goleins,
Brian

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: