[gothic-l] Ic. "Bill" & Latin addition

Eric T Sasse etsasse at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Thu Jun 15 02:33:23 UTC 2000

   I'll add my two kronar.

   Isn't the 'offical' Icelandic word (being that of native stock) for car
'hreyfill', also meaning simply moving-thing, movement or engine (?),
whereas 'bill' is just the commonly accepted word, along the lines of
'banana' being used instead of, I think, the offical 'eldbjugin' (sp?).

   I was once told that all of the Latin words for 4-wheeled chariots
were Celtic, such as 'petoritum'< pedwar=four + rith=wheel, because the
Celts made the best ones. So along those lines, how about either a Gothic
form of one such Latin word, or simply translate 4-wheeler into Gothic as
well to derive car?

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: