[gothic-l] Re: Saturday

Håkan Liljeberg got at YESBOX.NET
Sat Jun 17 16:48:51 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Francisc Czobor <czobor at c...> wrote:

Hails allaim!
Since we have Laugardagr in ON, Laugardagur and Lördag in some
other
contemporary scandinavian languages..! It basically means "wash-day",
the day in the week when everybody rested in the evening, and
prepared for sunday. Since there are already a word attested, I can
only came with a abstract suggestion. We could as an exemple say
*thwaha-dags "wash-day". If we want to be more "hollow", maybe we
could say "hailags-dags" or "weihs-dags" holy, sacred day.
This was all I could come up with.

Gutwulfs
Håkan Liljeberg

> But we have "sabbato" or "sabbato-dags" attested in the Silver
Bible,
> isn't it?
> Regarding other expressions for the days of the week, from the
Gothic