[gothic-l] Re: Toponym

Håkan Liljeberg got at YESBOX.NET
Sat Jun 17 17:09:25 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Grsartor at a... wrote:

Hails allaim!
I also heard the theory that finnish "Ahvenmaa" could come from ahva-
, meaning water, stream. Finnish ahven means bass, maa means land
(island), but the smilarity can explain why the finns conserved ahva-
in the name. Maybe it was the finnish historian Matti klinge who
wrote about this. Maybe it was called *ahvalanda. I think that the
theory that Ahvenmaa contains the proto-germanic *ahva, is right on
the spot!

Gutwulfs
Håkan Liljeberg

> About whether the Swedish place-name Aaland contains a relic of
Gothic AHVA,
> water. It would not be surprising if the two were related, but I
think some
> kind of learned argument would be needed to persuade the world that
the "aa"
> actually came from Gothic.
>
> According to Wright, Go. AHVA is cognate with Old High German AHA
and Old
> English EA. I think it is also supposed to be related to Icelandic
A (with an
> accent) meaning "river". It therefore seems likely that several
languages
> will have words, or elements of place names, that are akin to AHVA,
without
> their people's necessarily having had contact with Goths. For
example, some
> place-names in England, such as Mersey, contain a relic of EA/AHVA.
The
> Scandinavian form survives in the name of the Scottish town of
Thurso (bull
> river).
>
> Gerry T.

Want to win airfare to Vegas for you and 20 friends, $15,000 and a
suite at Bellagio for New Year's? Or 2 roundtrip tickets anywhere in
the U.S. given away daily? Go to Expedia.com for your chance to win...