[gothic-l] New objects/methods/techniques for which the Goths made a Gothical neologism

M. Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Wed Jun 21 16:20:39 UTC 2000

No this is indeed on of primary importance when considering
how one should go about making new words based on existing
elements, and we have come to little conclusion yet. Each
person who makes new words has a different approach, and
this is similar to a realistic, natural approach I think.
We do not expect everyone to be literalists, or calquers,
or borrowers, etc. But somehow it seems to work out. We
share our suggestions and ideas until one word gains
primacy and the others fall to the wayside, or perhaps
all are used as synonyms. This forum is best seen as a way
to prevent unsupportable forms from entering common usage.

I think the Germanic elements from which we can derive
a multitude of Gothic words yet is rich enough to create
a native vocabulary of useful quantity and quality.

Matþaius