[gothic-l] Marcomannic Challenge in _Gladiator_

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 28 21:40:26 UTC 2000

    A while back there was a thread on the Germanic in the opening scene of
the movie Gladiator. Pretty much all the posts seemed to be along the lines
of "I wasn't expecting it, so I didn't catch it at all! What the heck did he
say?"
    A friend of mine, a graduate student in Scandinavian Studies with a
(un)healthy interest in historical linguistics says that when he saw the
movie Gladiator he instantly interpreted the first sentence of the chief's
challenge as something like "suk thu nu hyde?" (spelling is mine), which
would mean something like "sokjist thu nu haubith?" i.e. "Are you looking for
the head, now?"
    This quote would indeed make perfect sense in the context: as you'll
recall the Roman envoy has just returned, strapped to his horse, but missing
a very important part of his body. The Germanic chieftain comes out of the
woods holding the severed head and shouts out whatever it is he shouts.

    So, haveany of the rest of you have any luck with this since it last came
up?

IUSTEINUS

ps. Sarah Patton- translating the word "Mistaken" into Gothic is very
difficult without context. Who or what is mistaken?

0% Introductory APR!
Instant Approval!
Aria Visa - get yours today.