[gothic-l] Re: Marcomannic Challenge in _Gladiator_

Brian Beck babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Thu Jun 29 13:27:12 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "M. Carver" <mcarver at c...> wrote:

> Brian Beck wrote:
> >
> > --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, jdm314 at a... wrote:
> > >     A friend of mine, a graduate student in Scandinavian Studies
> > with a
> > > (un)healthy interest in historical linguistics says that when he
> > saw the
> > > movie Gladiator he instantly interpreted the first sentence of
the
> > chief's
> > > challenge as something like "suk thu nu hyde?" (spelling is
mine),
> > which
> > > would mean something like "sokjist thu nu haubith?" i.e. "Are
you
> > looking for
> > > the head, now?"
> > >
> > I must admit I missed it, but your suggestion certainly makes
sense.
> > Perhaps it was "sukst thu nu hyvde" or something like that.  It
> > sounds vaguely Scandinavian.
> >
> > Brian
>
> Very true. I would wonder about the word "hyde" which doesnt seem
to fit
> marcomannic dialect, unless i am mistaken. Can it not rather be a
demonstrative
> perhaps, such as "hita" i.e. this? or hi(er) da(s) "this" or hi
(e) "her,
> it" + da, denn "then, so". It would help to see the manuscript for
the
> film, I think, and maybe know who the consultant was for
marcomannic in
> the film.
>
> Matþaius

Yes.  Also, since he seemed to be addressing the whole Roman army, it
may have been "sukith-u" do ye seek (plural), rather that doest thou
seek. This assumes that Marcomannic had an interrogative enclitic -u
like Gothic.

Brian

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: