[gothic-l] Re: Marcomannic Challenge in _Gladiator_

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 29 15:31:04 UTC 2000

In a message dated 6/29/2000 2:57:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
mcarver at csulb.edu writes:

<< Very true. I would wonder about the word "hyde" which doesnt seem to fit
 marcomannic dialect, unless i am mistaken. Can it not rather be a
demonstrative
 perhaps, such as "hita" i.e. this? or hi(er) da(s) "this" or hi(e) "her,
 it" + da, denn "then, so". It would help to see the manuscript for the
 film, I think, and maybe know who the consultant was for marcomannic in
 the film.

 Matþaius >>

    No, it does not look at all like Marcomannic to me (and before anyone
asks, I'm basing this on preconceived notions, not on any actual attested
Marcomannic--I would just assume it would be closer to Proto-Germanic and
hense Gothic than to a Scandinavian tongue), but it seems more likely they
arbitrarily used Scandinavian (or non-arbitrarily based on the reputation of
Icelandic for conservatveness) then that they meant somethign more
authentically Marcomannic.
    Avery, my aforementioned friend, when he heard my Gothic translation (and
sorry about that Sokjist, I should have consulted my grammars as soon as I
got home, as I knew I was guessing) insisted that that was plausibly close,
and that that could be what the cheiftain said, on the basis that if a Dane
were to be given "Sokeis thu nu haubith?" it would probably come out as "Suk
thu nu hyde?". I don't know.
    As for the authenticness of beheading the emissary... well that's beyond
the scope of this list, but suffice it to say that in the context of the
movie it made sense. The tribe has been backed into a corner, they've all but
lost, the Romans asked for their surrender, and this is their way of saying
the "mot de Cambronne" to use the French expression!

-IUSTEINUS

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: