[gothic-l] Re: Marcomannic Challenge in _Gladiator_

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Fri Jun 30 08:27:35 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, jdm314 at a... wrote:
>     No, it does not look at all like Marcomannic to me (and before
anyone
> asks, I'm basing this on preconceived notions, not on any actual
attested
> Marcomannic--I would just assume it would be closer to
Proto-Germanic and
> hense Gothic than to a Scandinavian tongue), but it seems more
likely they
> arbitrarily used Scandinavian (or non-arbitrarily based on the
reputation of
> Icelandic for conservatveness) then that they meant somethign more
> authentically Marcomannic.

Since the Marcomanni were (at least partially) the ancestors of the
Bavarians, their language should be a form of proto-OHG (Old High
German), that means OHG before the second consonant shift (which
occured about AD 500, if I'm not wrong). Indeed, such a language
would
be phonetically closer to Proto-Germanic and Gothic than to
Scandinavian, excepting the z>r mutation, which is common to West-
and
North-Germanic.

Francisc