[gothic-l] Re: Thanks---- Gothic Word for Spear???

Ramón Maldonado Bocinero at WARWICK.NET
Wed May 31 02:36:19 UTC 2000

Jdm314 at aol.com wrote:

> We discussed this a while back. Basically the word should be gais, gaizis as
> I recall. The form "gairu" is not actually attested, i'ts a "ghost word".
> Consult the Gothic-L archive at egroups for more info.

=================
Thank you much for the speedy reply.
I asked the question because I had always thought that certain names which start
or contain "Gar" were of Germanic origin as in my distant memory I connected
"Gar" with spear and recently thinking on it I wondered if the Visigothic word
was similar to "Gar" .

I hope this is not off topic but am I remembering wrong or are names like Gary,
Garcia and Garvy derived from the Gremanic word for "spear"????????

Though I have posted one question before to this group (Question on the Spanish
name Gumersindo)I just joined the list (today) and I am unfamiliar with it's
workings. As remedial as it may sound, how do I find the Gothic-L "archives".
Though I do recieve mail from 2 other lists I've never had to check the archives
of either of them before.

Ramón

Hot off the press- summer's here!
School's out and it's sizzling hot. Whether you're planning a
graduation party, a summer brunch, or simple birthday party,
shop GreatEntertaining.com before your next celebration.